Tuesday, October 27, 2009

An Open Letter To Baseball "Commissioner" Selig

Dear Mr. Selig,

My name is Tommy and I am ten years old. I hope that you are the right Baseball Commissioner. My dad says Mr. Murdoch The Fox or his friend Mr. Boris are the real heads of baseball. But, I looked you up on the MLB site and got your name.

I am writing to say a REALLY big thank you. My dad has been trying to get me to like playing and watching baseball since I was six. He grew up in a place called Queens, near where the Mets used to have a team. He's always saying, "When I was a boy......etc." I think those are the five hardest words for kids. He and his friends used to play baseball, stickball, stoop-ball, whiffle-ball, cup-ball and pretty much endlessly pitch against walls and garages. He remembers sneaking a transistor radio into school to listen to the World Series, which he claims they played on warm October days once upon a time.

The thing is, I really HATE baseball. I don't like playing and always fall asleep trying to stay up and watch it. Dad took me to a playoff game once, but I nearly froze to death. No offense to you, but I like Math and Science, even though my dad says I must come from India or China, whatever that means. By the time I finish my homework, it's my bedtime, and your games are on too late for me to watch. This is good, although it makes my dad mad. I love my dad, but, Mr. Selig, please don't change the schedule. Also, keep all of those days off in October, so we have November ball. Even my dad watches football instead in November, and he doesn't make me watch those guys trying to kill each other like Transformers. Don't let them play on Fridays like some people want either.

Dad says that Boris, Murdoch The Fox's assistant, got a lot of money for the players and The Fox needs to get big audiences and make as much money as possible for himself and "the idiot owners." I think this is kinda like in futile times like we study in History, with Lords and Dukes and peasants. Fans are the peasants, which is okay with me.

Dad says everyone hates what's happened to baseball in October, but I don't think it's bad at all: I'm getting good marks in school. I am sorry to tell you that I never liked baseball, but I do think that you, Murdoch The Fox and Boris are doing a good job. Keep it up.

There are probably millions of kids like me in India and China who don't like baseball and love Math and Science. I'm sure they would like you too.

Sincerely,

Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment