Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Temp Is The New Perm

One clear outcome of the "Recession," is that corporations have discovered internships as a convenient and affordable way to, well, hire without hiring. What began as a way to do favors for clients and senior execs, and gathered steam as a way to promote diversity, has now been institutionalized. Large corporations, as well as small to medium-sized organizations now "hire" thousands, if not millions of interns for varying lengths of time. Most of these interns work for free and none of them receive what we used to call Benefits.

Could there be a better HR idea than that! Imagine how GM can cut white-collar labor costs and sleepless-Citi can replace those mortgage lenders. And, more good news, a majority of the available free interns are college graduates. Did we mention that there are no Bennies! Ted-Care is coming and interns will get health insurance at no extra cost to the decent citizens making less than $250K. What a country.

I recently spoke with two of these interns, Jennifer and Monica (No, really, that's her name) in New York, and asked for their comments on business, the economy, etc.

GM:
Jenn: When GM announced its first big move after bankruptcy, the Camaro, I was excited. It sounded like a cute little Italian thing. But, then they said it had been around for ages, driven by guys on the Jersey shore, and it only got 22 mpg.
Monica: My mom's uncle had one of those things. He was from Brooklyn, a long time ago. I think GM has a rule against having women in the company, all their interns are guys. Muscle cars are weird.

Moonwalk Anniversary:
Monica: Well, like, at first, like I was thinking with Michael and all, that this was about him. We studied this moon trip thing back in elementary school and we were like, who would want to go to the moon? Whatever.
Jenn: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the moon landing with a space walk seemed a bit extravagant to me. I mean, like, how can they afford to give me health insurance when they spend gazillions on floating in space. Wouldn't fireworks or video's of Michael's real Moonwalk have been more affordable?

Stimulus:
Jenn: That $750 Billion or whatever sounded good, but where did it go? I had $2 left on my Metrocard this morning and, like, I swiped it over and over until someone told me I now needed $2.25 for a ride. They can't stimulate a quarter? What's up with that?
Monica: My friend who commutes from the real boonies, Stamford, CT. now pays $24.50 roundtrip for her train and she works for free in advertising. I think that money got stuck in places like Albany or Harrisburg. I mean like, who would ever want to go there and get money?

Healthcare:
Jenn: My father explained healthcare costs this way. He makes right around that indecent and unspeakable $250K. He co-pays only $15 for his annual physical, which is listed as really costing $750. Then, his insurance company negotiates it down to $500, and they have to pay $485. So, so weird.
Monica: And my mom's monthly Lipitor prescription is $30, twice the cost of his $750 physical. That's why I love Obama, he'll get rid of all that, hopefully while Ted is alive to see the day. As unpaid interns, we really appreciate free healthcare, etc.

Intern-mometer:

Hottie: Gas, ATM, Message, D.I.Y., Reality, Intern Nation

Nottie: Dow, Bank, Media, Health Insurance, Reality TV, Unemployment


This is the first in a series of interviews and guest blogs by my intern network. You thought interns were temporary? In this recession, nothing is more perm than temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment